"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Friday, April 25, 2008

A Mother of Influence

Flora Augusta Hamilton Lewis (1862-1908)

Flora was the mother of C.S. Lewis. Her cheerful and tranquil personality left a lasting impression on her son "Jack," as Clive Staples Lewis was called, although she died of cancer when he was only nine.

Jack's early childhood was a time spent reading, drawing imaginative pictures, and playing in the Irish countryside. It was a time of warm safety, and then his mother died. "With my mother's death," he wrote in his autobiography, "all settled happiness, all that was tranquil and reliable, disappeared from my life. There was to be much fun, many pleasures, many stabs of joy; but no more of the old security. It was sea and islands now; the great continent had sunk like Atlantis."

A mother of influence shares joy with her children while she can.

From Mothers of Influence