"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Monday, June 9, 2008

Banana Pudding


I can't make it like my grandma did, but I sure enjoy trying!

Banana Pudding

1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2/3 cup flour
6 eggs, separated
4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
5-6 bananas
box vanilla wafers

Mix 1 cup sugar and flour in top of a double boiler. Blend in 6 egg yolks and milk. Cook uncovered over boiling water stirring constantly (seems like forever) until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Place vanilla wafers on the bottom and up the sides of a a deep round baking dish. Layer the pudding, bananas, & wafers, ending with pudding.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar (more or less to taste) beating until stiff but not dry. Spread meringue on top of pudding making sure edges are sealed. Place vanilla wafers on edge around the dish.
Bake @ 350 for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.