"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Goody O'Grumpity

A nice book to read during this time of year. The book summary reads," Children come from near and far to taste Goody O'Grumpity's wonderful spice cake."

The 1937 poem is written by Carol Ryrie Brink and in 1994, Ashley Wolfe, illustrated it by using linoleum block prints painted with watercolors. Wolfe says this about the name Goody:

"I knew that it was a custom in early America to call a married woman "goodwife", so perhaps Goody was a shortened term of endearment."

She also was able to find a 17th century spice cake recipe which is at the end of the book.

Goody O' Grumpity was a Pilgrim woman with a great big heart!