"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Silver Platters and Everyday Dishes

by Debbie Allred

"It's just a Silver Platter,"
Cried the Everyday Dish,
As the Master took it from it's
Place and polished it.
"How can he keep it there with
Nothing to do all day?
He only uses it once in a while
To put it on display.
But I on the other hand work
Very hard all day.
I never get a special occasion
For which to be on display."

"It's just an Everyday Dish,"
The Silver Platter said,
As the Master used it for the seventh
Time before he retired to bed.
"Why does he seem to care for it,
And use it everyday?
Since it's just an Everyday Dish
And can never be on display."
But I on the other hand sit
Here all the day.
I'm never used the seventh time.
I must wait to be on display.

"O Lord I thank thee for they goodness,"
Said the Master as he prayed.
"I have both an Earthen Vessel
And a Silver Platter for display.
By thy hand you have made a very great house,
And given strength to us all
By thy bounty in the vessels
Whether great or whether small.
They are both only vessels by
Which you serve your food.
Help us to remember
To in them place the good."

So we are only vessels, Lord
By which you serve your food.
Help us to depend on you to in us
Place the good.
That we might serve you worthily
Whether it be everyday,
Or perhaps an occasion of your choice
To serve while on display.

~Debbie shared this poem with a ladies group many years ago, during a wonderful Bible study where she walked us through the Life of David.