"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Chicken and Dumplings

Growing up, my mother's family spent many Sunday afternoons
eating dinner after church at Grandma's. The delicious meal that I
remember was the same each time: chicken and dumplings,
purple hull peas, & cornbread. For dessert: chocolate cake
with white icing one week, white cake with chocolate icing the next.

Grandma's been gone for a long time but memories of those
meals will never leave. The thing about it is that no one
can find her recipe. I have tried recipe after recipe but they have never
turned out like hers. But recently my aunt sent me the one that she
uses - and it is so close to Grandma's I'd like to share it with you.
I'm sure it would be more like hers if I practiced every Sunday for
years and years, like she did.

Aunt Bernice's Chicken and Dumplings

Boil chicken and let cool. I debone it.

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
1 egg, beaten
5 tablespoons cold water

Mix into soft dough and divide into two parts.
Roll out very thin and let dry for 15 to 25 minutes.
Cut into 2 inch squares or strips and drop into boiling
broth with chicken. Cook for 15 minutes or until done.

Hope they turn out well.