"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pancakes & Waffles

I've always enjoyed pancakes and waffles. My mom used to make waffles a lot when I was at home. Her batter had a sweet taste to it...but sadly, I don't have the recipe. The one I use is from the 1953 Better Homes and Garden cookbook.

Pancakes are extra special for two reasons: My husband's dad makes them for breakfast when my kids spend the night. I'll never forget the first time they experienced his pancakes. They couldn't believe how big they were - the size of the plate! He also makes the syrup which is quick, easy, good and warm.

The other reason's because of a childhood memory. I was travelling with my family and stopped for breakfast at a little cafe. I ordered the blueberry pancakes and they were so delicious. I don't remember where the cafe was but I can still see the front of the building, the door and windows, and the taste I'll never forget! So, is it any wonder that we have pancakes for breakfast over and over?

Buttermilk Pancakes

4 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
5 cups buttermilk
1 stick melted unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Papa's Syrup

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
maple flavoring to taste

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and cook until sugar is dissolved.

"Oh Boy" Waffles

2 1/2 cups sifted enriched flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 beaten eggs
2 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup melted shortening or salad oil

Sift dry ingredients. Combine eggs, milk, and shortening. Combine liquid and dry ingredients just before baking; beat until smooth. This is a thin batter. Bake in hot waffle iron. Makes 10.