"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Tear Jerker

We recently watched Brian's Song. Even though it was made over 35 years ago, it was still surprisingly good. I'm not at all a sports-minded person, but there's just something about me and sports movies. I cried in the theater when we saw The Rookie. And pardon the confession but I laughed until I cried during Facing the Giants. The acting was pathetic! Though I was laughing, I also really cried because it was so sentimental. Imagine me laughing and crying at the same time, and my kids asking "What, Mom? What?"

Back to Brian's Song. It was '71 and was one of the first made-for-TV movies. It did so well that they began playing it in theaters. The movie begins with a Hemingway quote: "Every true story ends in death." Well, this is a true story. It's about Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers, football players with the Chicago Bears. Brian befriends Gale and helps him recover from an injury. Then Brian finds out he has cancer and Gale encourages him throughout the battle.

If you watch it, you'll have to note the ladies' fashions. In the scene where Gale's wife brings him home from his injury she's wearing a very cute jacket and skirt. Near the end of the movie Brian's wife, Joy, stands near the bed wearing a brown turtleneck baby doll dress. Styles do make a repeat. Unfortunately I'm old enough to see those cycles roll around again.

Enjoy the movie, it's a tear jerker!

FUN FACTS for older folks:

The interior of Gale's house was the same set as Darrin and Samantha's house on Bewitched.