"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Journals of Jim Elliot

Jim Elliot was a missionary to Ecuador. In 1956, he and four other men were killed by the very ones he was witnessing to, the Auca Indians. He left behind a young wife and a little baby girl. Elisabeth Elliot, his wife, edited and published his journal some twenty years after his death. He started his journal, as a means of self-discipline during his Junior year at Wheaton College 1948. He begins by studying Genesis. What an inspiration for us as we read and see his faith, love and obedience to God.

January 21 Genesis 27

"Your speech betrays you." However cleverly I may cover my hands, do acts which make me seem someone I am not, and deceive by the gifts my hand might provide, the ultimate test for who I am is my voice. "The voice is Jacob's voice" - that could not be doubted. Out of a heart that is full of either sweet water or bitter springs, the fountain at my tongue and who or what I really am is at my heart. Clear out the source and fill it with Thy love that my speech may be sound and uncondemned - today!

~Jim Elliot (1927-1956)