"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Me and Mangoes

Way back in 10th grade art class I had my first experience with mangoes. I tried to paint a Mexican farmer's market that mainly consisted of people and mangoes. So I've known what they've looked like for some time but have always wondered what in the world to do with them.

Several years ago my husband & his business partner came back from New York and said, "Oh, the mango lassi!" So, I ventured out & got a few mangoes. Are they ripe? How do you tell? Have you ever tried to blend a not quite ripe mango? I threw it out and forgot about it.

Now, for some reason, mangoes are everywhere. Looks like mangoes are good for us.

One medium sized mango provides about:
107 Calories
0.84 g Protein
28 g Carbohydrate
0.45 g Total Fat
3 g Fiber
6425 IU Vitamin A
45.7mg Vitamin C
18 mg Magnesium
300 mg Potassium
20 g Calcium
0 g Cholesterol
0 g Saturated fat

I still needed to know a little more about how to choose one and how to dice one up. I found this very helpful video by Chef Allen Susser:



I've now been successfully using mangoes. Broiled salmon with mango salsa, mango and strawberry smoothies, or just plain eating them because it's so much fun to turn the mango inside out and make that cute little flower -like creation.

"I love mangoes and I know you will too ." ~ Chef Allen Susser (1956- )