"Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name. Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me."

~Psalm 119:132-133

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Recycling as Religion

Normally I wouldn't read an article like this but the phrase "busy family life" in the title caught my eye. While reading all of the typical letters concerning the "doing my best - leave no trace" topic I came across one I didn't expect, a little different from the others.

Reconciling Environmentalism with Busy Family Life

Recycling as Religion

My other global hang-up is the way schools preach recycling as religion. My children come home regularly proclaiming the gospel of "reduce, reuse, recycle." My daughter even draws the three-arrows symbol on her coloring works. I'm not kidding. Talk about freaky.

It honestly brings to mind the squads of bandana-wearing Soviet children from history books, the Young Pioneers. I'm not saying it's the same. (Set down your letter-to-the-editor pen.) I'm just saying it certainly brings them to mind.

Since I'm not one to bow down and worship my fescue, I turn these occasions of propaganda-overload into teachable moments. I explain that though your teachers are right and recycling is important, things such as being honest, respecting your neighbor and being good are much, much more important. Let's keep this in perspective.

~CitiScapes - Our Green Issue

Sometimes the average Joe realizes that even schools are religious.